It feels like August is potentially the dullest part of the summer: My children are waiting for fall to come, bringing the excitement of going back to school and making new beginnings. For me as well, I feel like I’m just waiting for my pregnancy to progress and this baby to arrive! I’d like to change my attitude — instead of focusing on waiting, I’d like to embrace this chance to spend a few weeks doing new things with my children.
This time is a gift. I have four weeks to devote to my daughter before she begins full-day kindergarten. Oh how life will change then! Our son will also start attending preschool a few mornings a week in the fall. So, we have a few weeks left to explore nature, do new arts and crafts, try new recipes, and generally turn the house into a gigantic creative mess before their new schedule begins.
I’m beginning a list of projects and activities to explore in the next few weeks. If you have suggestions, please mention them in the comments! Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- Make paper bag fairy wings
- Assemble egg carton boats
- Create our own glass suncatchers
- Make our own gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches (We did so a few weeks ago and the kids LOVED them)
- Bake gluten-free, vegan chocolate-coffee zucchini bread
- Make sushi (using pregnancy-safe ingredients, of course)
- Test recipes for immune-boosting elderberry gummies — if they’re a hit, we can make them during cold season!
- Experiment with banana “ice cream” variations — our kids love this stuff!
- Make and freeze gluten-free pie dough, so we’re ready when it’s apple pie season!
- Visit our favorite family campground for a few nights
- Watch Kingston’s artist’s soap box derby, where artists create unusual vehicles and then race them down a big hill!
- Plan an overnight get-away to take with our kids this fall, to give them some attention and fun before the new baby comes
What do you plan to do with your kids before the school year begins? Do you have any favorite crafts, activities, or day trips to suggest? Please let me know in the comments!